Thursday, September 4, 2014

Guacamole Turkey Kale Burgers

On Monday night we decided to grill turkey burgers for dinner along with sweet potato fries. I've made my own fries before but I'll be honest we cheated this time around! Alexia is a great all-natural brand that I'll use when I don't feel like making the fries from scratch. Plus, they have waffle ones and what beats a waffle sweet potato fry? 

Sometimes I feel like my sister and I are those parents that have to sneak veggies into dinner without their kids realizing it. My mom can be a pretty picky eater but since she's still dependent upon us to make her dinner, we usually give her little choice! 

What we did with these turkey burgers is sneak some kale in there so my mom didn't really notice! We're getting really good and it'll be great practice for when we have to do it with our own kids ;)

To make the turkey burgers all you need is: 
2 lbs lean ground turkey
3 tbsp fresh garlic 
few handfuls of kale, diced
salt and pepper to season

All you have to do is combine all the ingredients and then form into patties! Since raw meat freaks my sister out, I'm always the official patty maker since I don't mind getting my hands messy. 

I formed it into about 3.5-4 oz patties and we froze the extras since we didn't need all of that for dinner. We get the huge packs of meat at Sam's Club and usually have to freeze a good chunk of it. You can always halve this recipe if you need to!


Grill each patty for about 4 minutes on each side. I didn't time it exactly but flipped them once each patty was more than halfway cooked. 

The fries were pretty easy to make as all we had to do was follow the directions on the bag. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes, occasionally tossing the fries.  


I topped my burger with the guacamole I found at Trader Joe's last Friday. It was absolutely delicious! I also made it low carb by ditching the bun for a bed of arugula. So it turned out more like a turkey burger salad. I didn't even miss the bun! 



No comments:

Post a Comment