Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Squash & Spinach Medley

I love trying out new recipes and learning about what works and doesn't work when cooking but most of the time I don't have anything fancy for dinner. I'm perfectly happy with a simple protein dish and veggies on the side! Typically what my dinner looks like is some kind of chicken, fish, or lean turkey with a vegetable and carb. It might be boring or too standard for someone else but the key is to switch up the flavors! Sometimes we'll do spicy chicken or add asian flavors or cook the vegetables a different way.

Last night was a typical dinner night with a chicken dish and veggies. I made one of my favorite chicken recipes Chicken Pesto Bake and didn't know what to make as a side. I checked the fridge and we had zucchini, squash, and spinach so I thought it would be tasty to have a medley of all three!

It was really easy to throw together and the timing worked perfectly with the chicken. Once I put the chicken in the oven it took about 20 minutes to cook which was just the amount I needed to prep the zucchini and squash then get it cooked.

What you'll need:
1 medium zucchini
1 medium squash
6 cups spinach
2 tbsp fresh minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste

1. Chop up the zucchini and squash and cook over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper.


2. Once the zucchini-squash is about 3/4 of the way cooked, add the spinach and cover the pan until the spinach wilts.

3. Add in the garlic and cook for another couple minutes until all the veggies are cooked





 I ended up getting a lot more zucchini and squash than I thought once I cooked it up but it's great to have leftovers!


Example A: I got to put some extra on my salad for lunch the next day! This salad had egg whites, tomatoes, mixed greens, grapes, peppers, and dried apricots. 


It was also an exciting day because I was finally able to go to the backyard to get the fresh herbs my sister has been growing in her garden! I love being able to just go out the back door and have fresh herbs and vegetables at my fingertips. I also love that I get to reap the benefits without having to do any of the work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment