Friday, August 8, 2014

Mustard-Glazed Salmon

Guess what? It's Fridaaaay!

Last night for dinner, we took a break from all the chicken and had salmon instead. Target has a great brand of wild-caught salmon that we like to stock up on because it stores perfectly in the freezer. The filets are already pre-packaged individually which is really helpful, too! 

One of my favorite ways to prepare salmon is with a mustard glaze. Awhile back I was thinking of a new chicken recipe and saw something about a mustard glaze so I wanted to try making my own. For some reason we had about 5 different types of mustard in our fridge which I don't know why anyone needs that many mustards but it happened to work out! I was able to play around with the different flavors of mustard to figure out which ones I liked in the glaze. The chicken was delicious with the mustard so I decided to put it on other stuff, too. Which led us to mustard-glazed salmon!

So for the glaze: 
2 tbsp Trader Joe's Hot&Sweet mustard
1 tbsp whole grain mustard
1 tbsp honey mustard
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2-1 tsp honey
salt and pepper to taste

If you're a huge mustard fan then this glaze is the glaze for you! You can always add more or less mustard depending on how strong you want it. I like adding the honey for a little bit of sweetness especially with having the dijon mustard. I waited to add the salt and pepper until the end because that gave me a better idea of what needed balanced before adding the final seasonings. You don't have to measure it out exactly because I just eyeballed all of it. In fact I don't think I've ever actually measured out the mustards but just mix until I get it to a taste I like. For the sake of this post, though, I decided it would be helpful to actually keep track of what I put in so I could give an accurate estimation. 

Pour the glaze over the salmon (this batch covered about 3 small-medium filets) and bake the salmon at 425 for about 12-15 minutes until it's nice and flaky. 

The glaze will seem runny at first but it'll firm up as the salmon bakes. I had mine with steamed broccoli and brown rice!



No comments:

Post a Comment